Cloud services are the long-term trend in the modern IT world. In view of this fact; it is not a surprise that many businesses and organizations are looking forward to migrating their databases to cloud-based services. Primary reasons for the fast growing popularity of “Database as a Service” approach are:
- Reduced total cost of ownership (TCO)
- Scalable hardware and software architectures
- Virtualization of data
|Most vendors of popular databases systems and large IT corporations offer solution according “Database as a Service” model:
Basically, the process of database migration from server-based DBMS to cloud solution can be represented as a sequence of following steps.
- Plan and setup: Main part of this step is detailed research of features that are not supported by the targetDBMS and the necessary application changes caused by migration.
This stage takes many human resources because it requires an understanding of database architecture and semantic. Despite the fact there are some tools that can identify missing features in the destination DBMS, the database specialist must understand the role of those capabilities and find design alternatives. The whole decision about database migration must be taken based on the estimation of efforts and cost of deploying the alternatives, rather than missing features as a reason to not migrate to the cloud at all.
- Development: On this step, database developers should perform tasks made by planning and design. In most cases database migration requires some changes in the related applications. However, even if the source and target databases belong to the same class of database management systems, cloud solution may have minor differences compared to the database server. For example, database migration from Microsoft SQL to Azure SQL requires creating clustered indexes for each table.
Even if there were no objects changed during database migration, the application architecture may require modifications due to different security, logging, error handling, and robust retry logic.
- Test: Probably, this is the most important step of the entire process. Below is the list of areas requiring the most attention as it is the basis of all performance and functionality tests?
- Handling errors
- Network issues
- Retry logic
- Scale-out concept
- Security system
During this stage there must be no database activity, otherwise, it may mess benchmarking results.
Intelligent Converters Solutions
Intelligent Converters is a software company providing a wide range of tools and services to migrate databases from MySQL, Oracle, Postgres, Microsoft SQL, MS Access, DBase/FoxPro, IBM DB2 into a cloud service working in “Database as a Service” model. Their products work with all popular cloud-based databases: SQL Azure, Oracle Cloud, Heroku PostgreSQL, Google Cloud SQL and Amazon Relational Database Service. Every converter migrates table definitions, data, constraints, indexes and queries (views) into the cloud storage with all necessary transformations.
The combination of high-performance migration tools and cutting-edge expert skills of support team allows Intelligent Converters provide high-quality solutions to thousands of customers for migrating databases to both private and public clouds.