Conventional disaster recovery for businesses used to be quite expensive and only large business houses and conglomerates could afford them. But now with the new development in cloud computing disaster recovery costs have come down significantly and so small and medium businesses can employ cloud disaster recovery tool for their data.
There is a long list of benefits that cloud disaster recovery plan brings to a business. Here are some of them:
- Simplifies data back up: In conventional DR you would have to back up data on a daily basis using tapes, disks and other hardware. But with cloud back up for even a large amount of data can be created in a matter of minutes.
- Off-site back up for critical data: A cloud disaster recovery tool will store your data in a remote cloud server, so in the event of a disaster even if your production center or office premises get destroyed completely, you can still have access to your data and you can get your business back on track in a very short time.
- Low cost DR option: There is no need for any hardware backup on your end; this cuts back on cost enormously. On top of that the service provider needs to be paid only for the services used, so you can determine which services you require and based on your budget.
- Highly reliable: Backup disks, tapes, hard drives etc. may get corrupted for a variety of reason like rough handling, careless storage etc. but cloud storage has no such issues. Restoring data from the cloud has reliability equal to or greater than 99%.
- Flexibility: Whether you business is booming or slowing down, cloud disaster recovery can be scaled as per your needs. You only pay for what you use, so you need not reserve any storage space, you can increase or decrease the use of cloud services as per your requirement and paying capacity.
- Restoration time is faster: Just as creating back up has become faster so too is data recovery fast in cloud servers. You can have your data restored to your system in a few minutes.
- Security: the need for security cannot be overstated and cloud data backup service providers understand that. So, the data you back up with a cloud facility is stored in multiple servers with integrated quick restore plans.